Weird battery corrosion!

From: Jon (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Tue Jan 03 2006 - 17:30:51 EST

   Yesterday, I finally took a few minutes to wade through the barn to
the front of the Cuda and Dak in order to hook 'em up to trickle chargers.
I opened the hood of the Cuda and was greeted with a strange sight...

   The hood pins don't have the retaining wires attached to them, they
are just loose. When I had parked the car, I just set them on top of
the battery, and I lowered the hood down, although I didn't lower it
enough to touch the latch. The hood pins were sitting in the middle
of the battery, equally distant from each terminal, and they weren't
touching anything metal, with the possible exception of the hold-down
bracket. Where the pins were touching each other was a pretty decent
build-up of that white, powdery "battery corrosion" material. The
battery terminals themselves look great, not a hint of corrosion.
There was no direct electrical contact, (the pins were at least 4-6
inches away from the nearest terminal) the only thing I can think of
is somehow the cheap zinc coating of the hood pins being in contact
with each other and just sitting in the field between the positive
and negative terminals triggered something. The car had been sitting
like that for about a month.

   Anyway, I thought that was pretty darn weird and had never seen
anything quite like that before, so I figured I would share. :-)

 TTYL!

--
                                          -Jon-

.- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -. | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA | | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 | | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly | | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD | `--------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'