Re: Weird battery corrosion

From: rll (charger69rt@cox.net)
Date: Wed Jan 04 2006 - 01:05:29 EST

Subject: DML: Weird battery corrosion!

> Yesterday, I finally took a few minutes to wade through the barn to
>> the front of the Cuda and Dak in order to hook 'em up to trickle chargers.
>> I opened the hood of the Cuda and was greeted with a strange sight...
>>
>> The hood pins don't have the retaining wires attached to them, they
>> are just loose. When I had parked the car, I just set them on top of
>> the battery, and I lowered the hood down, although I didn't lower it
>> enough to touch the latch. The hood pins were sitting in the middle
>> of the battery, equally distant from each terminal, and they weren't
>> touching anything metal, with the possible exception of the hold-down
>> bracket. Where the pins were touching each other was a pretty decent
>> build-up of that white, powdery "battery corrosion" material. The
>> battery terminals themselves look great, not a hint of corrosion.
>> There was no direct electrical contact, (the pins were at least 4-6
>> inches away from the nearest terminal) the only thing I can think of
>> is somehow the cheap zinc coating of the hood pins being in contact
>> with each other and just sitting in the field between the positive
>> and negative terminals triggered something. The car had been sitting
>> like that for about a month.
>>
>> Anyway, I thought that was pretty darn weird and had never seen
>> anything quite like that before, so I figured I would share. :-)
>>
>> TTYL!
>>
>> --
>> -Jon-

hello list

My 1/2 cents worth....

accross the top of most batteries there is electron migration.

part of the reason that unused batteries self-discharge

bat-winged aliens is another reason...but since x-files went
off the air it probably isn't very popular anymore.

one can stop most of it with a dusting of baking soda.

no baking soda...the migration can cause a multitude of
crystal like oxide buildup even between two similar metal surfaces touching
each other as they will react with air and moisture as electrons move
through the area of contact

OR its a terrorist event and this is the last we will hear of Jon

rob in phx
92 dak