Re: Column shifter squeak and roughness

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Tue Jan 24 2006 - 16:07:37 EST

On Tue, January 24, 2006 12:56 pm, Dan Kramarsky wrote:

> DML:
>
> I got some squeaking and some roughness in the shifter.
>
> Can anyone tell me if its safe to lube the column shifter linkages from
> steering column
> all the way down to the tranny?

I'd assume so. I've read tons about people lubricating all sorts of cables
on various cars/trucks/bikes.

> If so, what lube is best for this? a Moly lube? a multi-purpose grease?
> what?

Stolen from a forum:

Your local parts store should carry a product called Cable-Ease or something
similar. It's basically just graphite in a liquid suspension.
Works best if you can take the time to get the cable assembly out, remove the
cable from the sheath and clean the gunk out of it real good before
reassembling with fresh lube. But I've had luck in the past with just taking
the gauge cluster out and running plenty of Cable-Ease down through the
cable. Just disconnect it at the trannie end so you can spin the cable by
hand and let the lube work its way down.

** I've never lubed cables on a car before, only on bicycles and similar
light duty stuff. I've used that product before and it does work well.
Cleared up the sticking throttle problem I was having on my lawnmower a few
years back, before I moved into a condo. **

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com

This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.