Re: OT: Drive a Ford or get off the lot.

From: Miles D. Oliver (moliver@mmoliver.org)
Date: Sat Jan 28 2006 - 08:51:31 EST

   It's great to try and promote the products that you build but sometimes
the ideas are 'way out there'.

   I wonder what would happen if you worked on the 'over 1 ton' truck line.
Would you have to buy a E-450, 550, 650 or higher and drive that just to
be able to go to work and park in the lot?

  I used to do computer consulting and one of the Machinists unions was one
of my clients.

  When I came to their office I was not allowed to park in their lot TO HELP
THEM if I had a NON US vehicle (luckily that wasn't an issue). The
nearest place to park was 1/4 mile away. You couldn't even get on the
grounds to drop off parts and tools.

  We wound up having to choose the engineer who helped them based upon the
vehicle they drove so they could get on the site to do the work.

  So instead of getting the most qualified person for the job, they got the
person who drove the right vehicle.

  Another reason that I hate unions.

--
  Miles D. Oliver