Re: California Truck and Gas

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jan 30 2006 - 17:58:17 EST

Ryan wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have a 97 Club Cab with 318 and 5spd. I bought the truck new when I
> lived in the Los Angeles area. About 5 years ago, we moved to Seattle,
> and make an occasional trip back to L.A. in the Dakota to visit family.
>
> As soon as we moved up here, I noticed my Dakota started pinging running
> 87 octane gas. I had about 40,000 miles on the truck at the time. It
> never pinged when in California. So, I started putting 92 octane in,
> and the pinging went away. I have been running 92 octane ever since,
> and it has been fine for over 60,000 additional miles.
>
> Now, here's where my question comes in. When traveling south from
> Washington to California, I usually fill up right over the CA border in
> Yreka because I refuse to fill up in Oregon as they don't let you pump
> your own gas (insane!). Anyway, by Yreka, I'm pretty low and fill up
> around 20 gallons. Within 10-15 miles, I notice a power increase. It
> is substantial (say maybe 20-25 horsepower by the butt meter). For the
> rest of the trip in CA, I use 87 octane gas. The extra power remains,
> and there is no pinging. Once I get back to washington, the pinging
> returns, and I have to go back to 92 octane.
>
> I have noticed this now on all of the 3 trips we have driven the Dakota
> back to CA. So, there must be something in the CA gas that is affecting
> my motor for the better.
>
> Any ideas? Anyone have an idea on what I can change on my truck so as
> to go back to 87 octane gas here in WA?
>
> Ryan
> 97 cc,318,5sp,105k miles

have you taken altitude into consideration? I'm thinking Washington
State is a higher elevation than areas of CA. Assuming you stay outta
the mountains that is. Its also just possible that the gas you get up
in WA is a lower grade than stuff in CA. CA has the toughest emission
laws and the fuel could be of a higher refinement, to meet the states
requirements.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine