Re: Fuel Pump Module replacement

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sat Feb 04 2006 - 19:29:25 EST

Dan Kramarsky wrote:

> Well, its time to fix the blasted gas gauge this spring. I think its as most people
> suspect it is: the fuel gauge sending unit. I found unit at RockAuto for $154 for a
> Carter or $167 for an AC/Delco.
>
> so this raises a question or two:
>
> 1. If I try this myself, is going to easier to remove the bed to gain access to the
> top of the tank -or- should i raise the vehicle on a hoist and drop the tank with a
> tranny jack?
>
> 2. On the draining of the tank: I read the FSM on this and it's still not 100% clear.
> Can someone explain how to correctly drain the gas tank? On one hand, the FSM says "If
> the pump is working, you can use the Fuel Supply Line to drain the tank.". But on the
> other hand the FSM says to use the filler neck to drain. Which should I use? I guess
> I could also get a hand pump and put a tube into the tank and pump the gas out myself.
>
> Also I suppose it would be best to do it when the vehicle is nearly empty huh. LOL.
>
> -dan

Pull the bed. You have a short box which weighs less then my long bed
trucks and I can do it myself with minimal difficulty. Two guys can
lift and carry the bed off. If I don't have help, I use my engine hoist
with a tank strap as a sling. Works great. And if it sounds like more
of a hassle than dropping the tank - believe me its not.

If you drop the tank - count on replacing the straps. You will spend
less time on your back, you wont have to worry about getting fuel in
your face you can see the connections to the pump without having to feel
around for them.

Pull the bed bolts out (hit them with a generous amount of PB Blaster
several times during the day before you plan to pull the bed) unbolt the
fuel filler neck, disconnect the ground gable from the bed between it
and the cab, disconnect the tail light wire harnesses and the licence
plate harness... and pull the bed and yer there.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'