Re: RE: '98 LSD differential noise Dakota sick :(

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sun Feb 05 2006 - 07:47:10 EST

On Feb 4, 2006, at 20:42, Mike Burgess wrote:

> According to the FSM, my front pinion bearing is
> toast, along with whatever holds the pinion gear to
> the front of the differential. Went over some train
> tracks, and
> the drive shaft fell off the pumpkin.

well that sounds like fun... I'm used to ujoints being the root of
problems like that, not the yoke falling off the pinion! If it's been
loose for long enough to fall off, your bearings and seal are almost
certainly gone.

> The big external
> nut that holds the pinion to the rear U-joint is gone.

I assume you mean that holds the pinion yoke to the pinion.

> I coasted to a stop, in a left turn lane, and while
> stopped, the parts must have fallen back into the
> gears, and now the differential is locked solid.

the pinion probably dropped inside the carrier....

> Took
> two tow trucks to figure out how to get me out of
> there, with a locked axle, they didn't want to haul it
> up onto a flatbed, with no way to get it off.

I'd fire them both if I was the boss and knew that. lift the front
with the wheel lift and disconnect the rear driveshaft. 15 minute
hook-up.... and no reason to worry about getting it off the flatbed,
that's easy. I'd be far more worried about doing damage dragging it up
onto the flatbed depending on what the diff is locked up against. they
probably would have wrecked the pinion gear and case if they'd done
that.

> The
> driveshaft (1 piece aluminum) is scarred up, and I
> hope it's not toast too. It's unbeliveably light!

weird. my '98's factory front was HEAVY steel. so is the High Angle
shaft that's in there now, 'cept it's longer and heavier. and lots
more expensive...

> At
> least the tow to the shop was withing the AAA limit.
> So - to the wisdom of the DML, better to get a
> rebuilt axle, or let the shop rebuild it on the truck.

should just take new bearings, new crush sleeve, and *maybe* a gear
setup. not sure if the shims would change if you replace the pinion
bearings. also depends on if any of the gears were damaged while the
pinion was sloppy in there. maybe maybe not.... if they were, a
boneyard axle (or one from a Dakota who has done a SAS) would probably
be a cheaper bet than buying a gear set and master install kit. need
to diagnose what yours needs before deciding which route will be
cheaper, I think.

> The FSM shows lots of shims, crushable preload
> spacers, and non-reuseable bolts. I'm at a non-Dodge
> shop, AAA rated though. Any good differential rebuild
> shops in Los Angeles ?

now there's a question I don't know an answer to.... Good luck!!

> --Original Message Sat Jan 28 2006 :
>
> What's it doing ? Glad you asked. In addition to
> the normal whine change from drive to decelerate, it's
> now started a "growling" and vibration, noticeable in
> the floorboards.<snip>
> Any ideas on what I should look at next ??

Hey Mike - I have it on good word you should make sure your pinion nut
is tight and that it's preload feels tight! =)

--
   +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
   | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s  '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'