Re: Question

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Feb 14 2006 - 00:42:30 EST

JameyWelch@freightliner.com wrote:
> Hey guys! Two quick questions. About 6 months ago I posted that I had a
> check engine light on but could not get any codes to pull with any type of
> OBD II reader. My truck is a '99 2WD 318 Club Cab. I tried everything and
> couldn't figure it out and was even contemplating getting a new PCM. I read
> on the internet that open fuses can sometimes cause the MIL light to come on
> and so I check my fuses. I found the Purge/Console fuse, I believe it was
> position 11, to be blown and so I replaced it. After driving about 3 times
> to work, the light goes off. I am very happy that I didn't buy that PCM.

Purge/Console. hmmm - The "purge" leads me to think off the bat - that
it has something to do with the EVAP system and the purge solenoid. IF
the circuit for that was out - that would trigger a check engine light.
  Weird thing is that you said no code was stored. You can have codes
stored but not trip a light... but not typically the other way around.

> My question is, why did this fuse blow and what does it control? It blew
> again about 2 weeks ago and the check engine light came on. I replaced it
> and once again, I fixed the problem. What could cause this to happen?

I can look into that circuit a little more... but I'm willing to bet its
EVAP related. If the fuse keeps blowing - you have a problem somewhere.
  I would not advocate putting a higher amperage fuse in place because
if its blowing - its a sign. A blown fuse should never be ignored or
solved with a higher amp. They are red flags for wiring problems.

What causes it to blow - you will need to know what it controls first...
before you can answer that question.

> One more question....I have a club cab and the latch on the back of the seat
> broke where the cable goes through the locking hole and broke and so I now
> have to dangerously reach all of the way over the passenger seat to let my
> daughter out at school. The part brand new is over 50 dollars at the
> dealership and we don't have any pick-your-part junkyards around here with
> Dakotas in them. Does anyone have a spare laying around I could buy
> reasonably or know where I could get one reasonable. I have never been able
> to find them on ebay. Please let me know what I can do. Thanks!!

Are you talking about the latch that you hit to flip the seat back
forward to gain access tothe club cab? I'm not sure what you are
describing. I also have this problem with the seats in my 1995 Club
cab. (if its the problem I'm thinking of) The flip latches are screwed
up - and since the seats are ratty to begin with - I'm just going to
look for replacement seats.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'