What do you think...

From: Bill Day (billday@otecom.net)
Date: Tue Feb 14 2006 - 07:55:41 EST

Went in to get my oil changed friday at my local mech, he says my upper left
ball joint(driver side) is separating from the cup(while suspended you can
see it has alot more space then the passenger side one). So since I just got
it back from the dealer witha clean bill of health, I called them up and the
wanted it in monday bright and earlier, so away we go, me and the Dak, back
to her caregiver.

I'm in the waiting room and the service manager comes and asks me to come and
show him and the alignment tech whats wrong. Well they have it suspended on
a 4 post(lower a-arms in front and axle in rear) on an alignment rack. so he
has the wheel off and starts prying around no movement.. well no wonder, its
all under load at that position. So I explain to them how we noticed it and
they don't bother checking it that way, just slaps it together and we go for
a test drive.

Another thing he done under there that we noticed was that the nex driveshafts
weight had been hitting the exhaust, so he simply pries the exhaust away from
the driveshaft(no more clunking when I hit a bump). Anyway test drive and of
course no clanking. As for my squeaking he says its the hard rubber
bushings(I think we determined that a few years ago).

Anyway they give me a clean bill, say the ball-joints are solid and send me on
my way.

Do you think they should have checked them with the truck suspended on the
four post or with the suspension completely loose?

I am off to my local mechs to take some good 35MM pics of it and get them
developed just in case.

What is the worse thing that can happen if that upper driver ball-joint comes
loose at say 65 MPH, rollover? Would it have behooved them to check it
differently?

Who do I trust. My local has been servicing vehicles for many years compared
to any one of the tech in that garage. He does not do alignments or
ball-joints so he stands to make no momey off if anyway.

TIA

--

Bill Day

"A rich man isn't always wealthy, he just has all the love he can give and ever wanted.." http://counter.li.org #384146 284016

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'