Re: To Bar or not to Bar...

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Tue Feb 21 2006 - 16:00:37 EST

On Tue, February 21, 2006 9:47 am, Alberto Aguirre Jr wrote:

> I was recently told by a couple of people to put
> traction bars on my truck. A guy with a custom shop
> said not to. They dont help and I should use some old
> hot rodder trick with some sort of "ladder setup".
> Has anyone ever heard of this "ladder traction" trick
> and if so does it have advantages over traction bars?
> Do traction bars even help or can they be harmful? I
> wanted to drop the truck in the rear using the common
> drop blocks. Someone else said that if I want to use
> traction bars I need to use shackles to alter the
> place where leaf springs connect to frame in rear as
> opposed to blocks raising the differential off of the
> leaf springs, and I guess lowering my ground clearance
> by bring the bottom of the Ubolt assembly closer to
> the ground.

I have Lakewood universal traction bars on my truck. I like them, they
seemed like they took a little of the bounce out of the rear, and they
definately help from a stop.

My truck is lowered 2/3 with Hotchkis springs. The leafs have little spacer
shims that's build to fine-tune the drop, so it's similar to blocks but not
quite. I have about 1" of plates in there, so my trac bars sit that much
closer to thr ground. I can't go through carwashes because they get hung up
on the rails. I've also scraped them on driveways and speedbumps and other
miscellaneous crap in the road. I've also high-centered my truck more times
than I'd care to admit, but that's another story.

I can't comment on lowering your vehicle with blocks because I've not done
it, but I've seen enough negative reviews on it that I don't think I'd even
give it the chance in the future.

If you get them, definately polish them up and clearcoat them. I never did
and they can turn from immaculate into solid rust with seemingly just one
trip in the rain. I don't even bother anymore, they're all rusty so they
"hide" under the truck at this point. Maybe when it gets warmer I'll be
motivated to clean them up.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com

This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'