RE: RANT- Honda Ridgeline Truck of the Year

From: Garret Lewis (ladysmithgwl@1bigred.com)
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 09:07:17 EST

Yeah, I'm sure that many people were surprised when a Honda (any truck with
a Honda name) was given the title truck of the year.

As far as looks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've seen many
vehicles that are called "looking good" that too me just don't do it. I
think that on some aspects the Ridgeline looks good and on others it
doesn't. Too me, I'm sad to say, that the new Dakota just doesn't "do it"
for me and I wouldn't by one because of looks. If I was thinking about a
new Dakota, I would have to go for the Raider (Mitsu. version of the Dakota)
because I think that it looks better than the current Dakota.

I will say this, the "foreign" (in quotes because of their headquarters, not
their manufacturing location) auto makers have done more in my opinion to
improve on the pick-up truck that they make. They are doing pretty good on
giving the "American" car makers a "run for their money". Toyota, Nissan,
and Honda have V6 engines that put out equal or greater HP than the current
V8 in the Dakota and they get better fuel economy. The Ridgeline puts down
some good numbers considering it is a V6.

Time will tell if the Ridgeline design and manufacture is durable and buyers
find it astatically pleasing. To add fuel to the fire, Consumer Reports
also gave the Ridgeline a "number 1" recommendation followed by the Toyota
Tacoma. The Dakota was in the test group along with a Colorado and neither
of the American trucks was recommended.

Sorry for going on so much.

Have a good day,
Garret