Re: 440 Powered Dak?

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 14:19:15 EST

On Fri, February 24, 2006 10:13 am, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> I think maybe the route to take in that case would be a standalone
> unit that can simulate the OBD-II port. By the time you design and
> build all the interfaces between the MS and the factory PCM, you could
> probably build such a simulator yourself. :-) That's assuming of course
> that piggybacking the stock computer onto the MS would even work. I'm
> wondering about things like the O2 sensors for example. I don't know
> if the stock PCM will purposely richen up and lean out the mixture in
> order to test the O2 sensor, but even if it doesn't, chances are it
> will fall out of sync with what the MS is doing, and I've got to
> think that you'd be throwing codes all the time for things like that
> where the stock PCM is trying to modify things but it can't.

I could have sworn there was a way to do this. I seem to remember hearing
that some of the guys running the Accel DFI boxes were doing it.

Also, since the MS is only really controlling fueling, wouldn't it be
possible to leave the stock electronics hooked up for the most part? You
could just piggyback them together and have the MS feed pulsewidth data to
the PCM in real time. Maybe I'll see if I can track Shane down and shoot him
an email about it, or I could check out the MS community. It would be really
nice to still be able to utilize all the PCM's functionality while taking
advantage of the advanced tuning the MS allows.

> If you're looking to use the stock gauges, the way to go there
> might be to tie into the separate bus for the gauges (pretend to
> be the stock computer), but I'm sure that's proprietary and would
> be a major hassle. Another route to keep a stock look would be
> to take apart some autometer gauges or something and mount them
> behind the cluster to run the stock needles. Of course, neither
> of those solutions solves the OBD-II scan issue.

All good ideas, but if I can't pass the OBDII scan it's a no-go. Plus,
stealth is always a good thing. I don't want to advertize to anyone that
I've got anything special under the hood.

This is going to be a project that'll hopefully be on the road by summer '07
so I'm in no hurry. I'm sure there's something out there.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com

This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'