Re: 440 Powered Dak?

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 16:02:15 EST

On Fri, February 24, 2006 2:12 pm, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> This is probably a long shot, given your proximity to Chicago but
> it might be worthwhile checking with your local DMV to see if it would
> be possible to reclassify the vehicle as a hot rod, or possibly
> assign your own VIN to it as a kit car, etc. Something that might be
> exempt from emissions. If you are installing an older motor in it,
> sometimes a locality will base emissions requirements on the age of
> engine installed rather than the model year of the vehicle. Anyhoo,
> like I said, probably a long shot but it might be worth spending a
> few minutes to check that out and see if there is some sort of loophole
> there.

It's very easy to get an emissions exemption, it's just a form you send in.
It's a reclassification to race/show vehicle only though and if they catch
you on the streets at 4am.....

I guess I could just do what I did with the Daytona - register it at my
parents' house. There's no emissions testing in southern IL.

> If it were possible to get around the OBD-II scan, you could
> gut the stock cluster, just glue the needles in place to create a
> flat plate that looks the same as the stock cluster, but it would
> pop out or swing up/down/out/whatever to reveal the actual gauge
> cluster behind. :-)

Ghetto ++

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com

This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'