RE: '98 trans/transfer case seals?

From: Joseph A. Orsini (Joeman@gbonline.com)
Date: Sun Feb 26 2006 - 21:41:59 EST

Thanks Tom,

        So besides being labor intensive nothing special is needed?
I've got everything except for the lift. Well the lift and
a trans jack but I do have an adaptor for a floor jack and
have been meaning to buy a trans jack anyway...this could be
the excuse for it. The shop told him the trands had to come
out, I didn't think it had to. He just mentioned this to me
today, said I would poke around some and find out what was
involved.

-Joe

To replace the seals in the transfer case and the
transmission, requires
having to remove the rear drive shaft, unbolt the
transfercase from the
transmission, and remove the transmission from the truck. A
pretty
labor intense process. Regardless - $1200 seems a little
high.
Shouldn't take a shop with a lift and the proper tools, more
than an
hour and a half to have everything removed from the truck, a
couple
hours to replace the seals and then another hour or so to
put it all
back together.

Looking at a 5-7 hour job I would estimate... At a labor
rate of $75 an
hour - for 7 hours... thats only $525. Throw in $50 for the
parts
needed (and for just seals - $50 is a high number) You are
still
looking at less than $600 before taxes. $1200 is too high.

You can do that job yourself if you try - in a weekend if
you don't have
fancy stuff like hoists, tranny jacks, and air tools. I've
had the
drive train outta my trucks more times than I want to
remember. If you
have a lift and a trany jack and stand... oh its so much
easier.

As for the ball joints - that I don't have much info on.

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |