Re: OT: Towing capacity of a 1500 Ram?

From: Mr. Plow (adam_is_mr_plow@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2006 - 19:03:16 EST

Ughhh.... What i "really" want is a 2500 with the Cummins, but in the price
range i'm looking, that puts me into a '97. The XJ is a '98!!
I think that would be a seriously backward move, that's why i'm now looking
'01-'02 1500's.
Plus this thing really isn't going to see towing duty very often. The trips
will be long, but few and far between.

The Adam Blaster
Two words, figure it out.....

>From: Terrible Tom <SilverEightynine@aol.com>

>jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
>>"Mr. Plow" <adam_is_mr_plow@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>: Now i'm looking in this direction:
>>: '02 Ram 1500
>>: 4x4
>>: Club/Quad cab
>>: 360 Engine
>>
>>: They usually came with the 9.25 rear end right?
>>

>> At some point, they switched to the rears they are currently using -
>>"American" or something along those lines? I'm not sure
>>when that was though. (I'm too lazy/busy to do a web search right now.)
>>;-)
>>

>>: Did the "offroad" packaged : ones come with the 3.92 gears and larger
>>10.25 axle?
>>

>> Just going from memory here, but I *think* the offroad package
>>automatically bumped you all the way up to 4.10s. I don't recall hearing
>>anything about a bigger rear, but I could be wrong about that. Say, isn't
>>Tom's Ram an Offroad version? If so I'm sure we'll hear from him in a bit
>>and he can set us straight.
>>

>Yes I do have the coveted factory offroad package. 4.10 gears in an LSD
>9.25 axle. All the specs are on my web site if you are interested.
>
>If you are getting a full size instead, Adam... go with a 2500 360 gas.
>You arn't going to see THAT much worse in fuel economy than a 1500 with the
>same engine. The 360s in these trucks seem to get about 12-13MPG in town
>and slightly better highway, no matter how you drive them.
>
>I have a 7000LB tow rating on the Ram, made possible by the 4.10 gears and
>the HD service/cooling package that came standard. A 2500 should have that
>stuff factory, save for the gears. Unless you can find one optioned with
>the 4.10s - they are not common in half tons.
>
>My Ram does NOT do very well towing. But I blame that on how I have
>modified it. Tall tires, and coil spacers on top of a factory lift = bad
>for towing. Plus I was running over my GVWR. Plus those freakin Uhaul car
>haulers are crap. When I towed the 1995 Dak home, it was with a beat up
>trailor with mismatched tires that I borrowed from the guy who sold me the
>truck... and it towed so much better than Uhauls.
>
>However Walt has said numerous times that his 1996 Dak tows his 1988 a lot
>better than the Ram!

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |