Re: Alternator and voltage regulator question?

From: Don Rey (radon220@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2006 - 07:28:51 EST

Yes, the voltage regulator is integrated into the PCM. The VR sees
only the field signal from the alternator, so amperage doesn't matter.
Just make sure your charging circuit wiring can handle it (I'm sure
you knew that).

FWIW, if your PCM VR ever fries, don't replace the PCM. You can clip a
wire or two and hook up an older style voltage regulator quite easily.

Don
89 Dakota Convertible 4x4
74 Dart Sport 340
CT

On 3/12/06, Bill S. <kb7vkl@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On a '94 DAK 3.7ltr AT, AC cc is the alternator's out put controlled
> by the computer or is there an independent voltage regulator? Also: my
> truck came with the 90A alternator, can I upgrade to the 120A HD
> alternator without causing problems in whatever acts as the voltage
> regulator?
>
> TIA.
> Bill

> 1994 Dak, V6, AT, AC, all stock for now