Windsheild Wipers, Auxillary light wiring

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2006 - 14:04:58 EST

Just a couple quick notes for general consumption...

Bosch has come out with a new line of wiper refills, their Icon series.
I'd heard great things about them on my Jetta forums that they were as
good as the OEM Aero wipers for 1/5 the price, and that's right. I picked
up a set for the Jet and for the Dakota since I'd had trouble with both
lifting the driver's side wiper off the glass on the downstroke. These
wipers have a built-in airfoil to help them stay put. I needed to flex
the Jet's a bit to get the ends to make firm contact, I still need to
straighten the Dakota's a bit, or put a stronger spring in the wiper arm
to get the center to make contact on the downstroke.

Lots of potential, and a great fix on the Jet, but not perfect for the
Dakota. A bit more than $15 each, but there's a mail-in for a $15 auto
zone gift card per pair, limit 2, so I figured it would be worth a shot.

I also just finished the wiring for some additional lighting and I'm real
pleased with how that came out. I really need to do a howto writeup on my
website about this since it's "worthless without pics" but I just wanted
to brag that I've got some sweet LED rocklights on some bling rocker
switches now, and I'm wired for 3 sets of forward facing lights now too.
The fogs would be on if I could have found them Friday night when I was
buttoning things up, but I misplaced them so things are just coiled up
around the horns under the hood with relays pulled out.

Also finding lots of rust behind the headlights, on the flat horizontal
sections there, and the beginnings of some cancer coming through the
paint on the firewall around accessories bolted there. Depressing, but I
suppose not unexpected for an 8 year old vehicle with 3 MN winters and 5
NY winters under its belt.

--
  +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
  | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s  '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'