Re: 2 questions on 1999 Dak...

From: Joe B. (JoeB327@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2006 - 21:01:12 EST

andy.levy@gmail.com ("Andy Levy") wrote in
news:b26be6d90603141729q11ba11ddp9d829f625010ab50@mail.gmail.com:

>> Hi,
>> I have looked through the archives and didn't find a answer to my
>> questions. Hope you guys can help. First, is there a way to pull
>> codes from a 1999 Dak with out a reader? Seems you can pull codes
>> from a 1998 and earlier and 2000 and later, but not from a 1999, you
>> apparently need a code reader. Second, the 4X4 indicator lamp seems
>> to be burnt out in the dash. The 4X4 system works fine and after
>> the"gage-lamp" test, the indicator does not illuminate. How do I
>> access the lamp(socket) for replacement?
>
> I think I was able to pull codes from my '99 w/ the key-on key-off 5
> times trick. Been a while though.
>
> Does the 4x4 lamp come on during that initial dash test? I'm not sure
> based on your post. If it does, but doesn't when the truck's in 4WD,
> I'd be looking at a switch or sensor not working, not that bulb.

Andy and Mike,
Thanks for the info! The lamp does NOT come on during the initial dash
test, nor the "press the odometer reset button while turning the key gage
test". Thats why I believe it is only the bulb. I have tried all the
different key sequence "tests", but non worked to grab the codes....looks
like its time for a code reader.

Joe B.
.
.