RE: large tube in rear bumper

From: Ray Irons (rirons@doverde.net)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2006 - 22:15:39 EST

Andy wrote:

* I disagree that it's definitely there for a reason. Your appendix is
*
* Josh wrote:

>Good analogy but I don't see that applying to the automotive industry.
With
>the agressive bean-counting going on with auto manufacturers today I have
>doubt that is serves no purpose. Odds are it costs a few dollars, and if
>they put it on the many many thousand QC trucks that adds up. If it didn't
>serve a legitimate purpose it would have been removed already purely for
cost
>savings.

I agree with Josh. Having spent a few years working ay an auto assembly
plant, I know the engineers worry about how to shave a few pennies off the
production cost of a car or truck. When I was working at Saturn, we were
rolling a new vehicle off the final line every 60 seconds, each shift and we
were running two 8 hour production shifts at that time.

That works out to 960 cars a day, 4800 cars a week, over 20000 cars a month.
If our final line shut down for any reason, mechanical breakdown, personnel
issue, the estimated cost in lost production was over $5000 a minute.

So the engineers live by the old saying.....a penny saved is a penny earned.

Ray Irons
Dover, DE (for now, but I'm California bound!)

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |