Re: OT: Driving in India

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Mon May 01 2006 - 21:14:44 EDT

Hey, Jase!

<snip> Next time you think traffic is bad in your neighborhood:

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM>

That guy should take his camera to Cairo, Egypt, if he wants to see REAL
traffic. I spent three months there in 94 - 95,
& the similarities between this video & Cairo traffic are SCARY. The main
difference is that in Cairo, there are very few gaps in the traffic, & there
are armed police with AK-47s at almost every corner. There are traffic
signals - which are totally ignored. Right-of-way is established by the
location of your bumper. If there are lines on the road indicating THREE
driving lanes, the vehicles are SEVEN across! There is constant
horn-blowing, almost seems like the drivers are talking with their horns.
Buses seat 50 - 60 & stand 50 - 60 more. I've seen people hanging out of bus
doors - holding onto belts of people inside the bus - with other people
hanging onto THEIR belts. Even the roofs of the buses have people on them...
It used to take us 45 minutes to an hour to go about 18 miles thru Cairo to
the cannon factory we were setting up...
Ya gotta see it to believe it...

Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
2K DAK SY Sport + V6 4X4 5Speed
2K05 HD 883C YP