The meet report needs your help

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Fri May 05 2006 - 17:16:11 EDT

Okay, we're going to try something different with the meet report for the
national meet. Usually what happens with the meet report is some poor sap
volunteers to write it up, then about six months after the meet is over when
people start harassing him for the report he has to try to track down everyone
who took pictures and figure out from memory what happened.

This time, we're going to try using a blog (which I know is a stupid sounding
word, but it's short for a web log) to keep track of all national meet related
events. The address is http://dmlmeet.blogspot.com/

This is where we need your help. We're asking for everyone coming to the
national meet to report any events on this blog. This is not a place for
brainstorming of ideas, or discussion about what to do at the meet, or asking
questions. The DML is the place for that.

Rather, the blog is a place for reporting of any events related to the meet.
This is the place that anyone can go who wants to read "The Story of the 2006
National DML Meet." Maybe DML members who can't make the meet, our families
and friends, or just anyone on the web who wants to read about it. If you
remember the BBQ updates that Tom likes to post to the DML, that's the sort of
thing that would be perfect to include in the blog. Having them there will
keep them separate from the rest of the list traffic, and make it easier for
non DML members to read.

When I say events "related to" the meet, I'm hoping we can even include all of
the preparation work. Tom and Josh, if you want to post regular progress
reports on your various wrenchfest projects, that would be an awesome thing to
have documented. Or, if you just want to say "I got my camping gear out of
storage today that hasn't been used in 10 years" that's fine too. As long as
it's related to the meet and contributes to the story of what's involved in
pulling this off, it's fair game. Remember we'll be looking back on this in
five or ten years and saying "yeah, I remember that!"

Once we get to the meet, I want to keep this updated with the events at least
on a daily basis. Some information is good, more is better. Blogger will
even allow pictures to be uploaded, although for entire image galleries it
would probably be easier to find a different place to hold them. More than a
couple of images per post gets a little clumsy. This blog will act as the
live meet report while the meet is going on, and then it'll make it a whole
lot easier to write up the full meet report once the dust settles and we're
all back home. Jon wants to print up a coffee table book as the meet report
this time, which I think is a great idea. Let's make the job of getting this
book together as painless as possible. It'll be much easier to remember
everything if we record it as we go. With WiFi access back at the campground,
I'm sure we'll all be able to find a few minutes every night to post an
update.

If you're willing to help out with this effort, let me or Jon know and we'll
set you up as a contributor to the blog. The drawback to using a service like
Blogger is that you'll need to have an account on their system before you'll
be able to post. I don't think this is a big deal, but if you have a problem
with it let us know and we'll see what we can figure out. There's nothing
that says you have to use your real name, so you can always make something up.

Thanks!

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'