New Here: Looking to buy a Dakota - What to look out for?

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Mon May 08 2006 - 21:44:31 EDT

New to the list here, but I've been browsing the archives to see if there are
things I need to look out for. Thought I'd post a general question as well.

I'm looking to buy a 2000-2004 (Gen III) Dakota with the extended cab. I seem
to be unusual in that I want a 4WD and a manual trans. I'm turning up lots of
auto trans Dakotas, but very few manuals, and even fewer with 4WD. I have my
eye on one from a semi-local dealer and am considering making an offer on it.

The one I'm looking at is a 2001 extended cab (2 door), V6, 4WD, 5 speed, with
93K miles on it. I drove it, and didn't notice any strange noises or clunking
(ball joints?). Other than the usual used car stuff (belts, hoses, fluid
changes, and general maintenance items) that I will assume need to be done,
and that it needs new tires, is there anything specific I should look out
for? Any common rust sites I need to check out? The body looks good from the
top, but I haven't crawled under it yet to see what it looks like from below.
Being in the rust belt, rust tends to be what kills my cars and trucks.

Or, if you have a similar truck for sale in the northern Illinois or southern
Wisconsin area, let me know. Most of the manual trans / 4WD trucks I found
for sale are way off in other states (PA, VA, CO, NE, etc.) that are just too
far away for me.

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |