National Meet drag racing

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu May 18 2006 - 13:41:36 EDT

   For those of you who will be attending the National Meet, you
probably already know that we are planning to put in an appearance
at Bandimere Speedway on wednesday, which is their "take it to the
track" day (daily drivers, cars, trucks, bikes, etc.) It would
appear that this is time trials only, so its more of a "test and
tune" night as opposed to bracket racing. They charge $10 to
spectate and $30 to run.

   What I was thinking of doing was to bring my laptop along and
the DML could hold its own private bracket race. I'd make a
trophy for the winner (possibly 2nd and 3rd place trophies too,
if there is enough interest). Anyway, how it would work is that
the DMLers would just mix in with the regular Bandimere traffic.
Everybody would get a couple of time trials, and then when we
started the eliminations, before each run, everybody would give
me their dial-in, which I would input into the computer. Then
after the run, I would get everybody's ET and reaction time off
of their time slip, and input those into the computer too.

    There are basically two ways of running this that I can
think of. The first would be to pair people up like would happen
in a regular bracket race; if there are an odd number of vehicles
running in a particular round, one would get a bye (based on
the best reaction time from the previous round perhaps, or a coin
flip). Note that by "pair people up" I don't mean that they would
literally run next to each other on the track, since that doesn't
matter - they would just be virtually paired up against another
person. The other way of doing it would be to just have everybody
who is still in the running make a pass each round, and then compute
the scores, and the half of the field which did the best goes on to
the next round, everybody else is eliminated. (In the case of an
odd number of vehicles, the guy in the middle gets to go on to the
next round, which is basically the equivalent of getting a bye. For
example, if there were 5 vehicles running in this round, the ones
ranked 1st, 2nd, and 3rd would go through to the next round.) The
basic difference between the two methods is that in the first
way, which is the way bracket races are normally run, you are
only running against one other person each round. If you beat them,
you go on to the next round. Even if you screwed up and came in
way under your dial, if the other guy did worse or redlit,
you'd move on. Under the second method, you're basically running
against everybody else in that round. So there are no lucky
breaks - if you did badly compared to the rest of the field,
chances are you aren't moving on. I guess if I had a preference,
I'd lean towards the first method simply because that's the
traditional way its usually done, but I can go either way on it.

  Anyway, I just wanted to post that to see if anybody would be
interested in participating in a private DML bracket race like that?
If so, do you have a preference as to which elimination method to
use?

--
                                          -Jon-

.- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -. | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA | | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 | | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly | | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD | `--------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --' . . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'