re:Thought it wwas my tires making the noise..

From: victor.williams@byers.com
Date: Sun May 21 2006 - 22:39:53 EDT

Been there - done that.. twice. Those prices look reasonable.
The pinion bearing on my '95 started to go at about 300k miles. I had it
replaced at a highly recommeded shop. Then after about 6000 miles and on a
trip towing my travel trailer to North Carolina the whole rear end started
to go. It could handle normal driving but had problems under a load as
when towing.

The highly recommended shop I went to suggested an Auburn limited slip
unit after the local dealer didn't have a mopar one.
He put in the Auburn unit, new PrecisionRing ring and pinion gears and
bearing kit. Those gears whined too much for me.

After a few months I went to a another shop - On his recommendation I got
a new OEM Mopar Ring and Pinion, a new TracLoc diff and new bearing kit
and had that put in. The parts were available just had to know where to
look and what to ask for.
much better now.
Bottom line, go to someone who know rear ends and has references to prove
it.

if near Georgia go to Anderson Powertrain in Smyrna and ask for Andy.
if can't find parts locally try my SouthernGear.
http://yp.bellsouth.com/sites/southerngear/index.html

Victor Williams
Marietta Ga
1995 CC Sport 2wd,5.9l,5sp,3.55LSD,MP sp intake,Flowkooler,
Jardine catback,Flowmaster 70,CarSound Cat,Tow pkg

>Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 10:13:06 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "\"Digger\"" <dodgedakotaquadcab@yahoo.com>
>Subject: DML: Thought it wwas my tires making the noise...figured wrong
>
>Found out its my real end gears(3.55 LSD).Just great!!
>Just had to get a lawyer to defend us over some
>schmuck and now this...
>
>Went to a shop highly reccommended.Was told:
>
>$500 - $575 to replace Diff bearings
>$800 - $900 to do ring & pinion & bearings..
>
>anyone else have this done yet on your Dakota.I've got
>93,500 here

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |