Sh!t. Total head gasket failure!

From: Dan Kramarsky (dkramarsky68@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon May 22 2006 - 01:05:44 EDT

All:

I took the truck out for spin with my 6 y.o. son today and as I was building speed
getting on the highway I lost all power. At first it was like the fuel was cutting out.
I thought perhaps my fuel filter was clogged. I pulled over to the shoulder with engine
still running but ran very, very poorly.

I open the hood and coolant was everywhere!!! There was a half pint of coolant sitting
in a puddle on top of the air hat! There was coolant splashed against the firewall.
There was coolent on the under-side of the hood. I had about a pint or two of coolant on
the ground.

I immediately shut the engine off.

I guess the only good thing about this is that it was not mechanical failure of the
rotating assembly. This was a very quiet, slow death. No rattling or knocking sounds
at all.

The bad thing about this is I probably have coolant in the engine where there shouldn't
be any.

Truck was pulled off the highway and into a parking lot. Luckly I was only about 3 miles
from home. I need to get it the rest of the way home tomorrow ( monday ).

Now I have no clue if I'm gonna be able to fix it myself or not. And I am not sure if
its worse than just a head gasket. Like a cracked head. :(

-dan kramarsky

Dan K.

1992 Dakota Club Cab LE with A/C, Cruise, PS, PB, PW, PL, 3.55 rear, 5.2L V8 and a 46RH. Mods: Cool-air intake, 180* T-stat, relocated IAT.

http://static.flickr.com/42/84856795_c18903d10f.jpg

Future Plans: 5.9L engine swap, cat-back exhaust, 3.91 rear