Re: Cleaning engine woes (long)

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon May 29 2006 - 23:03:40 EDT

Dan Kramarsky wrote:

> Well after replacing the broken coolant hose, everything was fine. Engine ran ok.
>
> So today I decided to clean the engine with some Simple Green. I first covered the
> battery, the PCM, the distributor, and the alternator with some plastic garbage bags.
> Then sprayed the whole manifold and the valve covers with Simple Green. I worked the
> heavily greased areas with an old toothbrush. Then using a bucket I splashed water on
> the manifold several times to rinse off the simple green.
>
> After the cleaning I took the plastic garbage bags off and started the engine. I had
> some mis-fires going on 'cause the spark plug boots at the spark plugs were arc over to
> the heat shaileds. I pulled off the boots that were arcing and there was a small pocket
> of water in there. I dryed it out and cleaned the boots of any dirt inside and out.
> After putting the boots back on, it started right up and sounded ok. But wait,
> theres a strange sound, i looked around and to my dismay the alternator was making a
> whining sound that wasnt there before. The whine is coming from the backplate on the
> alternator. "Awe crap", i said. "It must have got wet somehow".
>
> So, what should i do? I think perhaps the water or the cleaning solution removed some
> grease from the alternator. Causing the bearings to whine. So if thats possible, then
> how do i oil it?
>
> ps. the alternator is still working as i looked at the amps with a clamp-on amp meter.
> seemed ok to me.
>
> -dan k.

Alternator bearings are non serviceable... meaning you can't pack them
with grease like you can some types of wheel bearings. If your
bearing/s have started to go kapoot... assuning you can locate
replacements... it is possible and cheaper to replace just the bearings
than to replace the entire unit. The flip side to this is that you have
to dissassemble the alternator. Not impossible to do but not idiot
proof. Its possible to screw it up when you take it apart and try and
put it back together, and if you do decide that it needs to be replaced
after you take it apart... you better spend a few minutes trying to make
it look normal again and put it back together because parts stores won't
give core credit to alternators and other parts when they are in peices.

I would give it a little more time first and see what happens before
deciding you need to take drastic measures. Your DML comrads have
soaked many-an-alternator, and had no ill effects. Its a little hard to
believe that after you just poured water on by hand - that a bearing
decided to grenade itself.

Also - you are a million times better off if you grab a channel lock and
rip out those dust/heat sheilds around the spark plugs. They are Pure
Evil. They trap more dust and dirt than they deflect and are not
necessary for heat protection. The wireset for my Ram (2001) is
different from that of older Rams with the same engines. The difference
is the design of the boot - to accomidate those blasted sheilds. I
ripped the sheilds out, and used an older set of plug wires (say from a
1998 model year) at half the cost of what my 2001 wires would have cost.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'