Re: Challenger WILL be built

From: Ray Irons (rayirons@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2006 - 13:02:32 EDT

Weeellll...

    So my math is a little fuzzy, LOL! Guess that's
what being retired and drinking Shiner Bock will do to
your brain.

When I went to work at the GM plant in Wilmington, DE
we were running 2 eight hour production shifts and
building over 600 cars per shift. Third shift was in
place for maintenance and pre-production issues to be
resolved. As we went thru the production run, demand
for the car, the Saturn L series wasn't that great so
they reduced the production run to 1 eight hour shift.
Demand still wasn't high enough, so they did a re-rate
on the line to slow the line down to a run of 460 cars
per day. So, let me think for a minute, (460x5=???)
2300 cars per week. That means you can take the dollar
figures I spouted off and more than double them. The L
series was scheduled to complete its run at the end of
the 2005 model year but I think it was actually shut
down in June of 2004. They did build a few 2005 models
but if I remember correctly, they pulled or "busted"
the jobs off line prior to going thru the final line
processes and put them into storage. That way they
could pull the jobs out of storage, run them thru the
final line after Jan 1 2005 and legitimately say they
ran production in 2005. Makes the stockholders and the
government happy I guess.

They would shut down for a couple weeks at Christmas
and a couple weeks at the beginning of July every
year. The last year they ran production, that couple
weeks turned into a month or sometimes 6 weeks of
letting the plant sit idle.

As I was only a contract employee, I was let go at the
end of the production run and told thanks but your
services are no longer required. No termination,
severance package, nothing. At least I and the only 3
people in my office knew it was coming and planned for
it.

Incidentally, it was while I was working at the GM
plant that I bought my Dakota and found this great
group of people known as the DML.

Ray Irons
Quincy, CA

--- Andy Levy <andy.levy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/1/06, Ray Irons <rayirons@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > production run. When I worked at the GM plant, we
> > pumped out cars at the REDUCED rate of 460 per 8
> hour
> > shift. Thats nearly a thousand vehicles per week.
> So,
>
> You only ran 2 8-hour shifts per week? Where do I
> sign up?
>
> Or did you mean nearly a thousand vehicles per day?
>
> .
> .

> | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML
> Meet in Colorado! |
> | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info:
> http://meet.dakota-truck.net |

.