Cutoff year for transmission swap? (also looking for engine/trans)

From: Jon (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2006 - 18:39:59 EDT

  The short version:

   I'm thinking of swapping a late model smallblock transmission into
a '78 Dodge van. i.e. A518/46RH/46RE. I seem to recall that at some
point, the transmissions got too much electronics put in 'em to make
them viable for a swap into an older vehicle. My memory is bit fuzzy
here, but I think on the earlier transmissions, the only elecronics
required would be a momentary switch to turn overdrive on and off,
then I think maybe a later model also required a switch for the
lockup, and later than that, you basically need a computer to run the
thing. Could somebody in the know give me the low-down on this?

   The longer version:

   I don't know if the DML in general was aware of it or not, but
last year, I became the owner of fellow DML'er Bob Tom's custom '78
Dodge van. It spent the winter parked in the field out back next
to my trailer, and just a few days ago, I went down there to poke
around a bit, and patch up a slight leak in the roof vent. As I
was looking around I came to the re-realization that this is a pretty
cool vehicle which deserves to get back on the road. :-) I don't know
if it will work out or not, but I am hoping maybe I can get it ready
in time to take it to Carlisle next year. I fixed a couple of tires
on the '67 Coronet today so that they will hold air, and I stashed it
in the garage across the street in order to get the van inside the
shop so that I can get to work on it. (I was originally planning on
doing the Coronet first, but instead I'm going to cut my teeth on the
van. Partly because it needs less work, and partly because I plan to
spray the Coronet black and I'll need all the body work practice I can
get between now and then!) :-) Back to the van, it does need some
body work in places, and I plan to do a complete re-paint, but the
interior I will be leaving as-is in its '70s glory, as much as possible.
(Some parts of the interior have deteriorated to the point where they
will need to be replaced, but I am planning to keep it basically the
same as it was when Bob and his family built it.)

   Anyway, the main thing it is missing right now is a motor. My
original thought was to find a 340 or 360 to bolt in. However, after
wondering wether a late model engine could be bolted to the '78 trans,
I got to thinking that what with the price of gas these days, an overdrive
trans would be pretty nice, which got me to thinking about swapping
in an engine and trans from a late model van, Ram, or Dakota. (I
suppose if I wanted to make it really slick, I would go the 5.7 HEMI
route, but I just don't have the money for that.) My current "plan"
involves a 5.2L or (preferably) 5.9L Magnum and matching automatic
trans out of a late model truck. Although I could probably get
a wiring harness and computer to run the engine, I am leaning towards
the DIY route and using a Megasquirt computer to run the engine.
(This is another reason I am currently favoring a late model
engine - no need to drill and weld fuel injector bungs into the
intake manifold or fabricate fuel rails, etc. Plus, the Magnum
heads and valvetrain are SO much better than the earlier LA motors.)
I've been keeping an eye on e-bay for engines and transmissions but
nothing has really jumped out at me yet. Seems to me like I should
be able to find a decent engine and trans for around $1K though... ?

   Anyhoo, that's my basic plan. I'm hoping somebody can let me
know what the "cutoff" year or trans model is where it becomes
no longer feasable for a swap like this due to the electronic/
computer control. Also, if anybody has an engine and/or trans
in good condition that they are looking to sell, or knows of
anybody with one, please let me know. Due to a general lack of
time (and also not wanting to get into a lot of money at this point)
I'm looking to find an engine and trans that can be basically dropped
in, not something that is going to require a rebuild.

   Oh, BTW - assuming I do go the Megasquirt route, once I get
the engine dialed in, I'll be sure to make the engine parameters
public so if anybody else wants to do the same thing, it should
be basically a plug 'n play deal for them.

  Thanks!!

--
                                          -Jon-

.- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -. | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA | | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 | | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly | | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD | `--------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'