Re: RE: Lost 56 lbs. yippie

From: Dan Kramarsky (dkramarsky68@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2006 - 13:24:30 EDT

well,

the brief version is:

Locate a 6" DA Sander. I found one made by Central Pneumatic for cheap. But others
like the one made by Chicago Pneumatic or Ingersol-Rand are really good but more
expensive.

My biggest problem area is on the roof of cab where its peeling all over. I was told to
try to stay away from the windows and door jambs by about 1/2". The body shop said they
would finish the prep in those arees when they get the truck from me. So i plan to mask
off about 1/2" around the windshield gaskets and door jambs. This will give me a visual
marker as to where to stay away from.

I was told to use 80 grit sand paper on the DA Sander and take it down to the primer.
if I hit bare metal in some areas I am suppose to use AM700 Etch Primer which is made by
<R-M>. The body shop uses only <R-M> products and Glasurit products. ( high quality
stuff ) 2 to 3 coats of primer is good enough

For small areas of peel, sand evenly as possible to a distance of about 4" away from
the peeling area in all directions. use AM700 primer if you hit bare metal. 2 to 3
coats.

<R-M> website
http://www.basfrefinish.com/vta/R-M/home.htm

thats about it.

like i said, this is what my body shop guy told me to do. if you are planning to get
this done to your truck I would do 2 things:
1. locate a body shop that you trust. ask some of the dealerships in your area for a
recommendation.
2. talk to the guy who will be doing your work. find out what you can do at home to
prep the truck yourself. mostly this would be removing all trim and emblems. and then
remove plastic parts like fender guards, mud flaps, and side marker lights. you will
need the tail lights if you plan on driving the truck to shop. ;-) otherwise you could
take 'em off and take off the grille and the headlights too.
3. if you plan on buying and fiberglass body parts like roll pan or a valance, get
those now before going to shop. And also test fit them so you know there wont be any
surprises when the shop goes to install them.

-dan

Dan K.

1992 Dakota Club Cab LE with A/C, Cruise, PS, PB, PW, PL, 3.55 rear, 5.2L V8 and a 46RH. Mods: Cool-air intake, 180* T-stat, relocated IAT.

http://static.flickr.com/42/84856795_c18903d10f.jpg

Future Plans: 5.9L engine swap, cat-back exhaust, 3.91 rear