Tranny trouble with RAM 1500 4x2

From: Dan Kramarsky (dkramarsky68@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2006 - 22:57:47 EDT

My brother in law has a 1997 Ram 1500, 4x2, with 5.2L V8 and 46RH tranny with these
symptoms:

SYMPTOM 1
At a red light, with the truck idling in Drive gear, the light goes green, and he presses
the gas pedal. The truck revs to about 900 rpms and then 1st gear suddenly engages
causing a loud thump.

SYMPTOM 2
When driving sometimes it hunts between 1st and 2nd gears. it will go to 2nd but once
2nd is engaged it might go back to 1st again.

Has anyone seen this? Sounds a bit like a TSB I have seen somewhere.

-dan

Dan K.

1992 Dakota Club Cab LE with A/C, Cruise, PS, PB, PW, PL, 3.55 rear, 5.2L V8 and a 46RH. Mods: Cool-air intake, 180* T-stat, relocated IAT.

http://static.flickr.com/42/84856795_c18903d10f.jpg

Future Plans: 5.9L engine swap, cat-back exhaust, 3.91 rear