Re: Intermediate Sttering Shaft Recomendataions, please

From: ttroidl@bluefrog.com
Date: Sun Jun 25 2006 - 16:45:55 EDT

  I had to replace my shaft on my '97 twice, the 2nd time Dodge had a
newer version that so far has held up over 5 years now... cost was
around $150 (ouch) but I dunno if you can find U Joints anywhere? you
could try a farm equipment place, or even a truck equipper, as they may
use small joints in some equipment applications?

Good Luck!

Tony.

Quoting Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com>:

> I've been fighting with rebuilding the power steering box on my Dakota for
> the last week or so, and I was getting tired of the fight to install and
> remove it. I knew that the intermediate shaft was supposed to have a slip
> joint, so I decided to pull mine out and try to break that slip joint free
> so that it wasn't such a pain...
>
> Well, it took an Act Of God to get the slip broken free, so I decided to
> pull it apart to fully clean and lube it. Also, the u-joint that lives
> right up against the firewall was total junk.
>
> Getting that joint pulled out of the shaft was a horrible expirience, all
> 4 caps broke while I tried to press the joint out, things were very
> thuroughly rusted, etc etc.
>
> So now I've got a slip joint that I for some reason can't get back
> together, and a u-joint that I can't find a replacement for at any of the
> big box stores. I'm going to swing by FleetPride on my way to work
> tomorrow to see if they have any joints small enough to think about using,
> but I'm still worried about getting that slip joint back together, so I'm
> wondering what those of you who have fixed the "steering clunk" have done
> to replace/rehab their steering shafts.
>
> I don't know if the part interchanges with a second gen Ram (I think
> there's a Borgson upgrade shaft for them, or something like that?), I
> don't have one to check against, but I know it's definitely very very
> different from a TJ Wrangler....
>
> Archive search turned up WAY too many posts, none of the first dozen were
> at all helpful. Hope somebody has some thoughts/expirience.
>
> --
> +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
> | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |
> | '02 Jetta TDI 5sp, daily '97 Intrepid, not on the road |
> +-------------------- <http://mike.tepidcola.com/trucks/> --+
>

> .
> .
> | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! |
> | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |

This message was sent using BlueFrog's Webmail System
http://www.bluefrog.com

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |