Re: Temporary cell phone?

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2006 - 20:20:46 EDT

On Wed, July 5, 2006 11:24 am, Jason Bleazard wrote:

> It occurred to me this morning that using my Canadian cell phone in Colorado
> is going to be really expensive. The out-of-country roaming charges are
> $1.00
> per minute on top of any airtime and long distance, and if anyone wants to
> call me they'd have to pay *international* long distance to call my Canadian
> number.

Weaksauce. I can use my Nextel in Canada and DC to the US for free as part
of my plan. I don't even get charged extra to call people in Canada, or at
least I didn't the few times I've called Adam. What carrier do you have?
Perhaps it's time to switch plans?

> Does anyone know if I can get a temporary local Colorado number for the week
> that we'll be there? Can I rent a phone, or get a different SIM card to put
> in my phone, or what? Forgive my ignorance, cell phone billing is a huge
> mystery to me. Obviously I don't want to sign up on a contract or outright
> purchase a pre-paid phone just to use for a week. I've already got the
> phone,
> what would be ideal would be if I can sign up for a local number and assign
> it
> to the phone I already have, but I don't know if there's any way to do that.
> Or am I better off to just eat the roaming charges? I'm not planning on
> yakking on the thing constantly, but I'm guessing I'll probably use between
> 30-60 minutes.

There's a place near here that sells pay as you go phones for $20, if you
purchased $30 worth of minutes you'd probably have more than you needed. It
may be cheaper it may not be. At least you wouldn't have to worry about
losing it.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com

This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'