[National DML Meet] Hanging in Denver

From: woodrufj (woodrufj@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2006 - 23:06:39 EDT

   =20 [http://dmlmeet.blogspot.com/]
   Hey guys, saw everyone posting their travel adventures, so I th= ought
   I'd do the same even though its not that exciting.
   Left Ca= lifornia later than I wanted to since a buddy of mine asked
   for a last minu= te favor to bring some wheels with me to Denver. So
   instead of leaving 2pm= from work, I left at 4pm from home. My route
   is pretty simple, I-15 north= about 550miles, then I-70 East for about
   550miles. Typical commuter traff= ic on the way out of town, bit not
   too bad. 60miles and 1.5hr before traf= fic let go.
   It was hot. Driving a race sprung, no AC, no radio = standard cab
   across the desert in July probably wasn't the best plan. I'm = sure
   the sign was broken, but the world's largest thermometer in Baker
   said= it was 129F as I went past around 6:30pm. I don't drive all that
   fast an= d got through Las Vegas at about 8 for my first fuel stop.
   300.2mi (tire c= orrected) 14.929gal =3D 20.1mpg. Note I was sweating
   like a pig.
   So out of Vegas on through the NW corner of Arizona and into Utah. I
   tha= t's a real speed trap, so again, just a few mph over the speed
   limit. Gain= ing altitude and getting close to midnight it started to
   cool off. I final= ly got to roll up the window and listen to some
   books on tape off my lap to= p (no Radio, remember). Hang a right on I
   70 and although I'm sure I had e= nough gas to make it across the
   100mi no mans land, I chickened out and sto= pped in Salinas for gas
   and grub. 300.4mi (no I didn't plan the 300mi tank= s) 16.902gal =3D
   17.8mpg. Since it was 2am, a greasy Denny's breakfast pla= tter was
   the only option. I couldn't have had less in common with the Morm= on
   graveyard shift waitress, but since I was the only customer there she
   in= sisted on trying to strike conversations. Now that I've been out
   of the dr= iver's seat for almost an hour, there was a distinctive
   squish sound and co= ld feeling as my 10hrs of sweat was found to be
   hiding in the seat cushion.=
   So back on the I-70, the Denny's deal started to hit me. About= half
   way through the no mans land I pulled over and took a 3hr nap. When =
   you see me on Wednesday, take a good look at the driver's seat I slept
   in. = About as comfortable as sleeping on a fire hydrant. The sun
   burning out m= y retinas at 7am woke me up. Although I fell asleep on
   a lonely ranch road= off ramp, by morning there was three big rigs
   catching winks behind me. G= uess they like to cluster. Back on the
   I70, made short work of the rest of= Utah, although majestic, I've
   seen it several times. Blasted through the = white trash cities of
   western Colorado and decided to top off one more time= in Rifle.
   268.7mi 15.094gal =3D 17.8mpg.
   Up and over the Rocki= es. Always a fun windy trip, its too bad the
   speed limits are so low even = in these optimal conditions. Down the
   other side without incident, but com= ing out of the Rockies it starts
   to get hot again. My destination was a pa= rking lot at the Denver
   international airport, the Mt Elbert parking lot if= you must know.
   The organizers already had everything set up, and some rac= ers were
   taking practice runs. I found some friends from back home and swa=
   pped to my race wheels (which was a lot harder than normal after a
   20hr jou= rney and 5200ft). Teched, registered and boned out to my
   hotel in Aura. T= he meager AC, compact toilet and dank smell of the
   best Super 8 has to offe= r has never been so welcomed.
   Good sleep tonight then start rac= ing tomorrow morning. If anyone is
   passing near the air port tomorrow morn= ing, I'll be getting my butt
   kicked at about 9am on the Mt. Elbert concrete= parking lot and again
   8am on Sunday. I'd be hard to miss, the only pick u= p out there.
   See you all Wednesday.
   Jay W
   505/28= 7 Dakota
   --
   Posted by woodru= fj to National DML Meet at 7/14/2006 09:06:36 PM

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |