[National DML Meet] Friday, July 21 (by Jon)

From: Jon Steiger (blogger@jonsteiger.com)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2006 - 03:01:34 EDT

   =20 Early this morning, we headed out to Pike's Peak; leaving camp
   just before = 8am. Upon arrival, we were dissapointed to hear that
   only the first 13 of = the 19 miles were open, due to "fog". (read:
   clouds) On the plus side, we= were told it could burn off, and the
   admission was half price. We decided= to give it a go, killed some
   time in the gift store, etc. By the time we = reached the closed
   section, they had opened it again, and we could drive al= l the way to
   the top. There were still sections obscured by clouds though,= and the
   entire summit was covered in clouds, so unfortunately there was ab=
   solutely no view from the top. However, we were greeted with some very
   nic= e views on the way up and down. Some of those views are included
   below, al= though naturally the pictures simply cannot do justice to
   the real thing.
   Tom got his truck back today, fixed and ready to go, so that is a=
   good thing. After Pike's Peak, we were going to meet up with Jason's
   pare= nts at a shooting range to punch some holes in paper and also
   possibly get = in some paintball, but due to the time and distances
   involved, that didn't = work out. Walt, Ingrid, Mike, Ed, and myself
   went out geocaching in the af= ternoon to find some caches with travel
   bugs in them. Unfortunately we did= not locate any travel bugs, but we
   did find a couple of caches, one of whi= ch required a hike of about a
   mile and a quarter or so. Although the cache= didn't contain the
   travel bug which was supposed to be there, the scenery = was very
   nice. Along the way to this cache, we stumbled across some signs = of
   recent bear activity, but didn't actually see anything more dangerous
   th= an a rabbit and a gaggle of Canadian geese.
   Afterwards, we all m= et at the Black Bear restaurant
   (www.blackbearrestaurant.com) at 8:30 for some dinner. The food w= as
   excellent! Afterwards, we headed back to camp for the evening bonfire.
   = Actually, I'm just headed for the bonfire now. It has been a week of
   long= days and short nights, which I think is starting to catch up to
   me a bit a= s I am really tired tonight. I might turn in (relatively)
   early, and sleep= in a bit tomorrow morning before packing up to catch
   my flight home. Unle= ss of course we decide to do some more
   geocaching in the morning, which mig= ht be a possibility.
   Following are a few pics = from the day:
   3D""-[photos1.blogger.com=]
   A picture o= f our campground, since I just realized I had forgotten
   to take one. My te= nt is the red one to the left.
   [2.jpg"]-[2.jpg"]
   Another campground pic.
   3D""-[3.jpg=]
   Pike's Peak
   3D""-[=]
   Pike's Peak
   3D""-[639=]
   Pike's Peak
   =
   3D""-[photos1.blogge=]
   Pike's= Peak
   3D""-[p=] <= /a>
   The entire group at the summit of Pike's Peak
   3D""-[6=]
   The DML's very own sa= squatch
   3D""-[photos1.blogg=]
   A pro= blem and a solution. Also known as "is this log too big for our
   fire ring?= " Not with a sufficient quantity of flammable liquid, it
   isn't... :-)
   3D""-[photos1.blogger=]
   A vi= ew of the northernmost finger of Rampart Reservoir, from the
   geocache area.=
   --
   Posted by Jon Steiger to= National DML Meet at 7/22/2006 12:05:00 AM

.
.
| The National DML Meet is in progress! http://meet.dakota-truck.net |