New blower resistor failure mode

From: Zito, James A \(GE Infra, Energy\) (james.zito@ge.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2006 - 10:56:34 EDT

Ok here's a new one for you all.

Yesterday, one of the hottest of the year, by the way, I'm getting ready to head from MA to NY for some more GE turbine doctor classes and decide to stop at the "Dad Machine (ATM)," since my wallet is almost empty. I shut the truck down with the AC on "high" and find the ATM isn't working (strike 1), jump back in the truck and what do you know no blower, but odd, the little compressor LED is lit, well off to the gas station (on the fumes). Ok no fan but I do have compressor...must be a fuse, nope they are all OK....WTF????

Well swing back by the house and take a quick look in the books, damn this is gonna take some time, well let's head to NY, it's all highway driving anyway there should be enough flow through to keep my from melting......

Get to the hotel without further incident, check in and commence to investigamatin' Funny my shoulders are all wet..... (strike 2). After about 45 minutes I discover the blower resistor is in fact dead (strike 3).

This is the fist time I have ever lost a blower reistor and not had high speed only.

Regarding strike 2, the Dakota doesn't have enough flow through volume to keep the outside of the evaporator case from dripping with condensation and flooding out the passenger side.

Well $9 later there is a new resistor on the way.

Jim