Re: RE: OT: Small engine repair

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Aug 03 2006 - 11:25:50 EDT

"Hop *" <hopsdak@hotmail.com> wrote:

: Sounds like one of the jets is clogged up.
: I'd pull the jets and clean them up real good.
: Then reinstall them. Run them down all the way the back them out 2 turns.
: Then make 1/4 turn adjustments till it runs right.

  One weird thing with this carb is that it doesn't even seem to have
traditional needle jets. I'm definitely no carb expert (carbeurator is
French for "leave it alone") ;-) but I have some experience with changing
out and adusting jets in my motorcycle and 2 stroke ultralight. The
only thing in this carb that resembles a jet is there is a tube that dips
down into the float bowl, and it sticks up into the venturi passageway.
There is a screw on the bottom of the carb that moves a needle up and
down below this tube, it looks like the purpose of the needle is to
restrict the flow of gas through this tube. There's another orifice that
appears to allow gas to come up into the venturi which has a similar sort
of arrangement, a screw that adjusts the size of the opening that the gas
can flow through. Besides those two screws, there aren't any other
adjustments on the carb. I don't know enough about carbs to be able
to tell if one is a power circuit and another is idle, etc. Neither
screw looks like a traditional needle jet; they must be serving the
same purpose, but they are rather crude.

--
                                          -Jon-

.- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -. | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA | | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 | | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly | | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD | `--------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'