Question regarding clutch fan

From: Chris Reck (chris92@insightbb.com)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2006 - 22:56:46 EDT

Hi,

Since this is my third one, I should explain myself. I have 120,000 miles
on the truck and finally have decided to get a bunch of things done that
I've been needing to do.

Eight months ago, I had the cluch fan replaced because the belt tensioner
went bad and messed up the bearings/seals, whatever (It was leaking pretty
badly). None of the other belt drive components have gone bad so far; but
I'm watching the water pump and AC closely (more on this later).

Ever since the clutch fan was replaced with an aftermarket (non-OEM) model,
I have noticed that it seems to always be engaged until I hit 35-45 MPH.
Once I slow down, it would be back again until I hit the magical speed. If
I floor it above 45 MPH, I don't hear anything but the exhaust.

Do I have a bad fan clutch or is this just a sign of how the aftermarket fan
clutch should work? The shop I had it done in said this is normal; but it's
definitely not how it used to be.

On a trip in March across Wyoming, it would be roaring when starting up...
even though the truck was at temperature for the last 4 hours driving.

I can use any help in my argument against the shop to replace it with an OEM
model that works properly.

Thanks!

P.S. They won't even tell me the model and Manf. of the one they put on.

Chris Reck
Bloomington, IL

'99 Dakota Sport + CC 4x4 V6 (Deep Amethyst)
Shaved and polished V8 TB, Autolite 3923, 195 Thermostat, 7.5mm Bosch plug
wires,
Custom K&N 6x9 air intake, Rancho RSX shocks, Pioneer full audio system,
BF Goodrich 32x11.5r15 T/A KO tires