Re: 4x4 Torsion Bar Leveling Keys

From: ctandc (ctandc@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Aug 27 2006 - 01:26:44 EDT

I've cranked the T-bars on Toyota's, GM's etc etc...not on my Dodge yet.

First off...trucks are designed to sit higher in the rear for a simple
reason. Trucks are primarily designed to haul things in the back. When
loaded, the truck levels out.

Just for leveling purposes, cranking the bars doesn't change the front
suspension geometry enough to screw things up...granted this is if you're
only talking an inch or two.

The one thing that you need to do is have the alignment checked after
cranking the bars.

NOTE: If you're just taking into a shop, and you don't know the guy checking
the alignment, don't mention you've cranked the bars. Most tire places have
a 'free alignment check'. MAKE SURE you ask for a print out of the BEFORE
and AFTER measurements on your truck.

I've seen more than a few BRAND NEW trucks with alignments that were nowhere
CLOSE to specs. And you don't want to pay for an alignment if it doesn't
need it.

Also DO NOT trust your eyes when 'leveling' the truck via the bars. Some
trucks, from the factory, will have different adjustments on the bars
already. So keep that in mind.

I always measure from the dead middle of the wheel to the bottom of the
fender. Measure this on both sides. Many people I've seen measure to the
ground, when the ground is almost never level in the first place.

Measure each side. Compare.

Depending on how much I need to 'level' the truck, I normally get the
measurements up front to MATCH. THEN I use that as the starting point for
any lifting via the bars.

FWIW.. I've noticed that when you go with bigger / taller tires, it seems to
make the factory stance look better.

HTH

Chris
01 Sport 4x4 5spd 3.9