Re: Anyone Have A Black Grill?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Sep 16 2006 - 15:53:36 EDT

"Kyle Kozubal" <lpd111@msn.com> wrote:

: I am looking for an all black grill for my '04 Dakota.

: I have the chrome grill, but I want to find a black grill......to match my
: truck's black paint.

   If you're feeling ambitious, there's always the option of
rolling your own... Scuff up the original grill a bit, hit it
with a light coat of Rustoleum plastic primer (or equvalent) and
just give it a rattle can finish. OEM Paints (www.oempaints.com)
supplies factory matched colors in aerosol cans, although since
your truck is black, just about any gloss black paint should be
a decent match, maybe with some clear on top.

   I've never tried this on the stock "plastic chrome", so take
the above with a grain of salt, but it "should" work. :-)
Of course, the drawback to this method is that you need to buy a
new grill if you want to put the truck back to stock. The odds
of finding a decent grill in a junkyard are probably fairly slim,
but it might be worth a shot? That way if you aren't happy with
the results you haven't really damaged anything.

--
                                          -Jon-