Re: More questions on brakes

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2006 - 20:42:42 EDT

On Sat, September 9, 2006 2:34 pm, David Gersic wrote:

> Seems like everybody's talking about brakes this month, so here's one more
> question...
>
> I bought a '01 Dakota (V6, 4x4, manual trans, LSD rearend) earlier this year.
> It has just under 95k miles on it now, and the brakes just don't seem to be
> all that great. They work, but they don't seem to really want to grab. It's
> kinda hard to explain.

That's what stock brakes feel like. ;-)

> I have replaced the shoes and pads with NAPA parts. Not their top of the
> line,
> nor the "economy" ones, the ones in the middle. The front calipers are not
> siezed up and float fine on their sliding bolts. I also replaced the brake
> fluid and bled the system.

The top of the line napa gold (the brass impregnated ones) are amazing. I've
got their shoes on my truck and they're the only ones that'll get it to where
I can actually feel the rear brakes working.

I've got brembo slotted rotors and hawk pads on the front and can lock the
wheels up at highway speeds. It stops like there's a big brake kit on the
truck. From 60mph I can stop shorter than my friend can in his stock 04
civic.

> I prefer to do my own work, but I'll have to have a shop do the rotors and
> drums. Is there anything else I need to be looking in to here?

I have a set of brand new mopar drums just laying around. They're part
number 52006290. I also have the corresponding shoes for sale, part number
V2010367. Make me a good offer and they're in the mail. If you're near the
southside of Chicago, I'll even meet you somewhere.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com

This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.