Re: Univesal Joints - WAS Re: Daktoberfest Return

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Nov 01 2006 - 12:13:01 EST

"Chris Reck" <chris92@insightbb.com> wrote:

: Jon, when you mentioned the following:

: install the u-joints such that the grease zerks will
: be compressed" by the force from the engine

: What do you mean by this? The ones I ordered, the zerks are in the caps.
: Either way, it will rotate so that the zerk is farthest from the rotating
: point no matter how I would install them. Am I just not seeing something
: right?

    I guess in that case it probably doesn't matter which way you install
them. To be honest, I've never run into a u-joint with the grease fitting
in the cap, all of the ones I have dealt with so far have the fitting in the
body of the joint itself, in the "V" between the caps. With that type, it
is a good idea to install them so that the grease fitting portion of the
u-joint is compressed when under power.

   For example, say you are looking at the u-joint straight on, like a
cross, and the grease fitting is in the body of the joint between the caps
which are at 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock. If the trans or transfer case was
transmitting power to the u-joint from behind it, in a clockwise direction,
and you are on the driveshaft side, you would want the tranny/t-case
yoke attached to the caps at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions, and the
driveshaft attached to the 9 and 3 o'clock caps. When the engine turns
the driveshaft, the 12 o'clock cap will be pushed clockwise and the 3
o'clock cap will resist counterclockwise, compressing the "V" where the
zerk fitting is, rather than trying to tear that hole apart. (With
the yoke on the 12 and 6 o'clock caps, you could also install the joint
such that the zerk was between the 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock caps, but
you wouldn't want it between 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock or between 3 o'clock
and 6 o'clock. Hmmmm, clear as mud?) :-)

--
                                          -Jon-