Re: changing fluids this weekend..

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Nov 17 2006 - 10:22:23 EST

"Miles D. Oliver" <moliver@mmoliver.org> wrote:

: My wife's 2003 Durango just hit the 100,000 mile mark. This weekend I am
: going to do a large scale fluid change, Trans, Diffs, and transfer case.

: Changing the fluids are going to be easy..

: My only question is I can't remember if there is an LSD in the rear
: of this truck (its an AWD with the full time transfer case) and
: if I need to add the friction modifier and how much?

   Does the AWD transfer case have a neutral position? If so, stick
it in neutral, jack the rear end up and turn one of the tires. If
both tires go in the same direction, you have the limited slip, if
they go in opposite directions, its open.

: Guess I get to go to the stealership to get the friction modifier too.

   Ray beat me to the punch on this one, but I've also noticed that
most of the gear lubes I come across on the shelf already have the
friction modifier in them. So if you haven't purchased the lube
yet, then you can just purchase one with the modifier already in
it. Check your owner's manual for the recommended viscocity,
service grade, etc. It might also say something about the friction
modifier, although my guess is that it probably just lists a
Mopar part number for the fluid they want you to buy.

--
                                          -Jon-