Re: Ball joint replacement update

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sat Nov 18 2006 - 21:31:20 EST

Don Rey wrote:

> kudos on the dirt driveway special. that's where my engine swap took
> place. i hated doing my upper ball joints... kinda wish they were
> pressed-in like the lowers. hope yours go better than mine!
>
> don in ct
> 89 dakota convertible 318 NV3500 4x4
> 74 dart sport 340
> pbase.com/radon220/mopars/
>
> On 11/17/06, thebearcentral@cox.net <thebearcentral@cox.net> wrote:
>

>> In article <ejlrou$5hb$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, thebearcentral@cox.net
>> writes:
>> >

>> > all is going well. I don't have a socet for the top ball joint and
>> don't want
>> > to strip it I will wate till tomarow to get one.
>> > this is a dirt driveway special. I haven't had this much fun in a
>> long time
>> > In am taking pics and will post all the foolishnes at a later date
>> >
>> > Chris c.
>>
>> ps. thanks for the repleys

I just picked up both chrysler ball joint sockets for $55 - used - Mac
Tools - pretty good deal. I got the passenger side joints in Christine,
oooh they look purty, but the @#$%^&!*!ing damned POS!! !@#$%^&! pile of
#$%@!$%^#! lower brake caliper slide bolt stripped out in the knuckle.

/me NOT happy.

I think I can get an oversized bolt at work, but the way those work - I
doubt I'll be able to use it long. pull and reinstall that caliper a
few times and the self tapping threads will make ground beef out of
whats left of the hole in the knuckle.

Could wonder if its possible to spot weld a sleeve in the bolt hole, and
tap it to the original size of the caliper bolt thread.

This makes me want to rip the IFS out more now than ever!

"The word, is no. I am therefore going anyway." - James T. Kirk

75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4, 95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4 http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/ AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine