Re: which speed sensor? Stores have 4wd/man or 2wd/Auto I have 2wd man

From: Ray Irons (rayirons@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2006 - 11:03:02 EST

--- Eric Hufstedler <huffy340@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Went back to AZ.com. 98 and 99 are the same part
> > number for both the V6 and the V8. If you want to
> > check it for your self, go to autozone.com input
> your
> > vehicle, go to engine management, and scroll all
> the
> > way to the bottom of the page on the right hand
> side
> > and click on vehicle speed sensor. It should show
> > SU1034 as the part number you need.
>
> Funny. I searched with ABS sensor, and nothing
> comes up. But
> you're right: vehicle speed sensor shows up in
> engine management.
> Is that the sensor for no ABS?
>
> Eric

Couple things here. I got to thinking about this after
I replied last night. First off, before you fire the
money cannon at this thing, try this:

Remove the instrument cluster and re-install it. I've
had mine out a couple time for various things and it
has two large flat connectors in the rear to link
signals from the PCM to the cluster. It's possible
there could be a tiny spot of corrosion on one of the
connector pins that's causing an interruption of
signal. Simply removing and reinstalling the cluster
might be enough to scrape the corrosion off and
correct the problem. I can't remember how many times
in my air force career, we had stuff signed off on
planes as correction action was removed and reseated
component.

If ABS made a difference, there would be a separate
part number for it listed on the web site. I don't
think it makes a difference on the Dakota anyway since
the RWSS generates a signal to the PCM and the PCM
converts that's signal to a signal it sends to the
speedo in the cluster. When I worked at AZ, the
computers we used would have a pop up to ask that type
of question. GM's were about the worst of them,
especially in the brake section for trucks. "Which
brake system is installed? JA1 JB1, JB2 JD2?" Ask the
customer and you get a HTHDIK? look. Then you tell
them GM put a service part ID sticker in the glove
box, under the hood, or on the spare tire cover. To
which the intelligent replay is "Ain't got no stickers
left on it Dang thing is over 30 years old." Police
package vehicles were bad too. I had one customer that
had replaced a single caliper on a non police vehicle
with a PP caliper. When the pads for the other side
were different, he wanted me to break down another set
of pads so he could get the correct one for the
different caliper. I told him I couldn't do that and
his choices were to
A) Replace the other caliper
B) Return the caliper he had already installed and
purchase the correct one
C) Purchase a second complete set of pads for the
different caliper

He wasn't very happy with me that day.

Best of luck with your speed sensor. Let us know what
you figure out that fixes the problem.

HTH,

Ray