Re: DML Digest V5 #2919

From: Ken & Janet Olson (olsonfam@iserv.net)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2007 - 07:09:58 EST

> Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 06:13:56 -0500
> From: John Hower <jehower@comcast.net>
> Subject: RE: DML: RE: New guy with question
>
> I'll stop by FLAPS and pick one up. It's been unseasonably warm here
> so I can get it on this week. I'll certainly report back, but since
> it sometimes goes a week or more with no noise, it may take a while
> before I'm sure.
>
> Thanks,
> John
>

> At 10:17 PM 1/2/2007, you wrote:
>
>>Ah, make that tensioner pulley, not the idler...
>>
>>Rascal

I recently dealt with this on my '97 Dakota. It turned out that the squeal
had 2 sources. One was that the washer that goes between the tensioner
pulley and the bolt had been bent in a slight amount, enough that it was
touching on the outer race of the sealed bearing. There was also noise
coming from the water pump and idler pulleys (both driven by the back of the
belt), due to a glaze on the pulley surfaces. Fixed both of these
conditions and there's no more squeal.

Ken