Re: Re: Motorcycles At DML BBQ 07

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Jan 15 2007 - 11:40:59 EST

Ray Irons <rayirons@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
: --- jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

:> I can't seem to find anything with the mileage
:> when
:> I bought it, unfortunately.

: Sometime the title will have the transfer mileage on
: it. I got mine off the sales sheet from the dealer
: invoice I kept.

   I thought of that before, but couldn't locate the title.
I just found it though, and it looks like I've put 4,000
miles on it over the past 7 years. So I won't be entering
the Ironbutt contest anytime soon. ;-)

:>Based on the inspection
:>
:> sticker, it looks like I put about 400mi on it this
:> year.
:> That seems low, but it might be right, I dunno.

: That's WAY low bud. I put 400 miles on mine in a
: weekend more than once this past summer. But then
: again, we did have a pretty dry summer and northern
: California has some of the nicest roads for riding
: I've ever been on.

    I did notice that I put 150 miles on it the first
day I owned it, but obviously I didn't maintain that
pace. ;-) 400 miles for one year seems mighty low,
that would mean I only filled the tank 3-4 times, and
it seems like I did it more than that. But, who knows?
It could be right; I can be picky about which vehicle
to take so none of 'em really rack up a huge amount of
miles anymore, especially given that I don't have a
commute to speak of - so I'm only driving when I need
to go into town for something, occasional business trips,
grab a bite to eat, etc.

:> I've spent
:> too much time trying to figure it out already so I'm
:> not going
:> to worry about it. :-) Clearly, I don't ride as
:> much as
:> some people, but I don't bother going out unless the
:> weather is
:> great and since I hate the cold, I don't bother
:> riding unless
:> its pretty warm out. I used to ride in all sorts of
:> weather;
:> had my wallet chain rust up due to rain and have had
:> to ride
:> down the road physically holding the exhaust pipe in
:> my
:> gloved hand to keep my fingers from going stiff from
:> the
:> cold, but at some point I must have realized that
:> doing stuff
:> like that isn't actually fun, so what's the point?
:> :-)

: Been there done that got the tee shirt. I remember a
: long time ago when my sister lived about 50 miles
: north of me in Delaware, I decided to ride to see her
: on a fairly warm January day. By the time I left her
: house, it was dark and the temps dropped into the low
: 30's. At that time I didn't have any special riding
: gear, just long johns, fleece lined jeans jacket and
: leather workmans gloves. By the time I got back to the
: base, I was colder then I've ever been in my life,
: including the years I spent in North Dakota. One of my
: friends in the dorm saw me and told me I looked like a
: Smurf cause I was blue!

  Yeah, back in the bad old days ;-) (when I was an assistant
manager at a Burger King) I had a Virago 750 at the time,
which absolutely refused to start when it was cold, so
on the fall/winter nights when I closed, I would push it
inside the dining room when locking the doors so that by the
time I was ready to leave, it was warmed up enough to start. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-