RE: cyl 1 and 7 don't fire

From: Jamie Calder (jcalder3@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 31 2007 - 22:26:44 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net] On Behalf Of Terrible Tom
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 9:39 PM
To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
Subject: Re: DML: cyl 1 and 7 don't fire

Terrible Tom wrote:

> Jamie Calder wrote:
>
>> A while ago I posted a problem I had with my '93 318 where cyl 1 and
>> 7 don't
>> fire. A compression test shows there no compression at all in those
>> 2 cylinders. Before I take the valve cover off for further
>> inspections, would anyone like to speculate? Why those 2 cylinders
>> at the same? Are those 2 always in the same position? What would
>> cause 2 to go at once? What would be the best case scenario? Rockers
>> or pushrods, right?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James
>>

> 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 - is the firing order. The number 1 and number 7 are
> the front and rear two on the drivers side bank... Why the two are not
> getting compression, is a little odd.
>
> You either have a situation where the timing is off, and the piston is
> hitting TDC while you have a valve open, you have burnt/broken valves,
> or you have damaged pistons.
>
> Odds are - if the timing has not been fussed with, and the chain in
> intact, you have bad valves. I could see if you had no compression
> between two common cyls, (indicating a hole on the block or head)...
> but two opposites? Its not impossible to have fubard pistons... but
> it would take some serious destructive force to take out two of em.
>
> Why do I not suggest rings? Because even with bad rings, you should
> still have SOME compression, be it very low. If you have ZERO
> compression, I'm suspecting valves.

Going to add some more info here. As you mentioned valve train, you could
have a pushrod issue, however if the rods were bent, it would cause the
valves to open less, and you would hear clatter. You would not normally see
zero compression with bent rods.

Also, try this... squirt some clean engine oil into the spark plug holes
  for 1 and 7... not a whole lot... half a teaspoon or so... and see if that
bumps up compression at all. If it does - you know its a piston ring
problem. If it doesn't you are back to either valves, holes in something,
or timing.

Get a freaking rose tattoo and deal with it...
three busted-ass daks, a gas hog, and a rollerskate
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine

Yup..it's zero compression. Well it doesn't register on the gauge but there is the millisecond of escaping air when the pressure relief is depressed on the gauge.

I'll try the oil squirt