Re: Dakota days numbered?

From: Gary Hedlin (superdak@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2007 - 00:48:43 EST

Bob Tom wrote:
. Latest rumour is that
> GM is talking to D-C about buying :-( Also, the Warren(sp?) plant is apparently
> being cut back to one shift. Doesn't look too good for Dakotas or Rams!
>
> Sad, sad times in Moparland X;{
>
> Bob

Won't happen. GM has been fighting a long hard battle to reduce their
liabilities for pensions, health care, and other labor issues. They're
not about to take on Chrysler's problems too.

This is a good article, and the video explains it nicely:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/17186352

Most likely you'll see Daimler either spin off Chrysler into it's own
company and take whatever comes in from the stock sale, or just sell the
company to someone like a private equity group that can keep the company
  private so they can have an easier time making the company more
profitable.

On the future of the Dakota and Durango, It looks bleak, but I will say
this, The Warren Plant has been at idle for some time since they have
more than a 180 day inventory of Dakotas sitting on the lots, so it's
not a surprise that they're cutting back. But if they actually do close
the plant I'ld bet they just find another platform to build from and
produce outside the US.

..Just my .02

Gary Hedlin
98 Dakota Sport 3.9