RE: Remote Starter

From: Jamie Calder (jcalder3@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Sun Feb 25 2007 - 14:57:33 EST

"Jamie Calder" <jcalder3@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

: How does one hook up a trigger type remote starter to a '93 Dakota (where
do
: the 2 alligator clips attach)?

   I assume you're just looking to use the starter to spin the motor? If
you're looking to actually start the engine, you will need to apply power to
the ignition wire first (or just leave the key in the ignition to the "on"
position), but to just spin the engine or bump the starter, you should be
able to hook one alligator clip to the positive battery terminal and the
other to the starter wire lug directly on the starter itself or on the other
end, to wherever the starter wire attaches, if that is more convenient. If
you're not looking to start the engine, its probably a good idea to
disconnect the coil wire first, just as a safety precaution.

--
                                          -Jon-

It would seem as there is already unswitched 12 volts to the starter since a cable goes from the battery + to the starter lug. It must operate by completing a ground? Does this sound right? I'll poke around more to look for a ground terminal on the starter. I just don't want to unnecessarily fry anything...