Re: Truck Cutting Off

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Apr 03 2007 - 11:14:21 EDT

Garret Lewis <ladysmithgwl@1bigred.com> wrote:

> Well, yesterday I experienced some trouble with my Dak. Basically
> it would cut off on my like someone turning off the key. I was
> delivering a motorcycle I sold to PA; so, at least it started on the
> return trip and I DID make it home.

> When this problem happened sometimes the truck would restart right
> away and at other times you'd have to crank it some. The CEL did
> not come on. But, when I got home, I hooked the truck up and got a
> #1 coil DTC and an engine did not reach operating temp fast enough
> DTC. So, I took out the Accel coil that I had been running for
> years and put back in the stock coil. Hopefully this will fix the
> #1 coil DTC. Also, I replaced the coolant temp sensor about 1-2
> years ago. Do you think the truck not heating up fast enough DTC
> would be from the temp sensor? I do have a lower thermostat in the
> truck; but, I've never received this DTC before. Additionally,
> about 1-2 years ago I replaced the temp sensor in the intake.

> Any other ideas or suggestions on my truck's problems?

   The coil would be something to check, and although there could be a
problem with the coolant temp sensor, it definitely would not cause
the truck to shut off. The temperature DTC could even be a symptom of
whatever the other problem is which is causing the truck to shut off.
I'd work on fixing the cutting out problem and then after the truck
has been running right for a couple of weeks, come back and see if you
are still getting the temperature DTC.

   I had a similar problem with my 1996 Dakota where it would randomly
shut off, especially when it was warmed up. Turned out that the
connector to the coil was loose and making intermittent contact. On
the GenII trucks, there is a splice that corrodes which can cause a
similar problem, but I don't recall if it affects the GenIII as well.

> Also, where can you get the connectors that plug into the sensors?
> I noticed yesterday when checking some connections that the clip
> that prevents the plug from pulling off of the intake temp sensor
> was broken off. The plug is good. Just the clip that prevents it
> from being accidentally pulled off or vibrating off is broken off.

   It has been my experience that it is an absolute nightmare to try
and get replacement connectors or pigtails for Mopar vehicles. It
might depend on the connector, but when I was looking for a TPS
pigtail, I drove all over the county and the closest I was able to
come locally was that I could buy the entire wiring harness (for an
outrageous price naturally) :-) I was finally able to track down the
part number for the connector I was looking for thanks to a "friend of
a friend" type connection to somebody on the inside of
DaimlerChrysler. (It was either through Kuk or Mark Kuzia, but
unfortunately my memory is so fuzzy on it that I don't recall for
sure... must be getting old.) :-)

   So anyway, you can *try* to get a connector or pigtail, but don't
get your hopes up. :-) Your best bet might be to cut one out of a
harness in a junkyard. Or, if you don't particularly care about the
looks, just plug it in and put a few wraps of electrical tape around
it.

--
                                          -Jon-